Senior High Part-Time Program
Vista Virtual School’s part-time program offers individual online courses to senior high-school students across Alberta. With no registration deadline, students are able to enroll at any time and have one year to complete the online course(s). Our online courses are available at the 1, 3, and 5 credit levels. Part-time students are limited to a maximum of ten (10) credits at a time. Customized timelines are available for courses within the part-time program.
Teachers are available to assist students Monday to Friday by phone, e-mail, Skype, and face-to-face meetings.
Specific course format and required materials may be found with the Registration and Courses tab.
Ready to register? Click here!
- Determine if the student is eligible.
- Complete the registration forms and attach all supporting documentation (Canadian birth certificate or citizenship card, Individual Program Plan (IPP), medical assessment, psychological assessment).
- Submit your completed forms and all supporting documentation.
- Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will review and verify your information.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
- be less than 20 years of age as of September 1 of the school year
- be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence
- provide a birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation
- be a resident of Alberta. (Although the individual may be residing elsewhere temporarily, he or she must maintain an Alberta address) Submit proof of residency upon request. Additional requirements apply to students leaving the province during the school year
- provide evidence that the prerequisites of the grade level the student expects to start at have been met, i.e.,final report card from previous grade level or high school transcript)
- provide additional documentation in support of student needs (psychological assessment, medical documentation, Individualized Program Plan (IPP)
- have regular contact with teachers of Vista Virtual School through meetings at student/parent/teacher Interviews, e-mail, telephone, or video-conferencing
- Alberta Education requires a parent or guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older as of September 1 must remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year
- Proof of Alberta residency
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you must provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence
- At the principal’s discretion, and as a last resort, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered
- Telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges
- You are required to set this up before the student’s application can be processed
- The main contact telephone number you provide on the application must meet this requirement
- You are also required to provide a long distance telephone number and a telephone number for your Alberta residence
- Once registered, an out-of-province student may establish a special writing centre for school-based supervised exams (midterms, final exams). When the student is taking a course wherein there is also a diploma examination, the student will be required to either return to Alberta to write the diploma examination, or establish a special writing centre.To inquire about the process and obtain forms, please contact the Alberta Distance Learning Centre Exam Department. Toll-free: 1-866-774-5333, ext. 5255 or via email:firstname.lastname@example.org