Thank you for visiting our Adult Upgrading page. Here you will find important information regarding how to register, fees and materials, and more information about being an adult learner at Vista Virtual School.
- Determine if the student is eligible.
- Complete the registration forms and attach all supporting documents, including citizenship documentation, Individual Program Plan (IPP)—if applicable, and transcript/report card.
- Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will review and verify your information.
- When you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for accessing your online course content and making payment. Any course materials you choose to order will be mailed to the shipping address provided on your registration form.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
- Be older than 20 years of age as of September 1 of the school year (students under age 20 are eligible for full- and part-time high school registration).
- Be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence.
- Provide proof of citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation).
- Be a resident of Alberta. (Although the individual may be residing elsewhere temporarily, he or she must maintain an Alberta address.)
- Submit proof of residency upon request. Additional requirements apply to students leaving the province during the school year.
- Provide evidence that the prerequisites of the grade level the student expects to start at have been met (i.e., high school transcript, post-secondary transcript, placement exam results).
- Provide additional documentation in support of student needs as required (e.g., Individualized Program Plan, psychological/psycho-educational assessments, and/or medical assessments/documentation).
The student must:
- Sign Vista Virtual School’s Truancy and Acceptable Use policies.
- Have regular contact with teachers of Vista Virtual School through, email, telephone, or video conferencing.
- Provide proof of Alberta residency:
- Note: Alberta Education requires a parent or guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older as of September 1 must remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year.
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you must provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence.
- At the principal’s discretion, and as a last resort, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered.
- Have a telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students:
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges.
- You are also required to provide a telephone number for your Alberta residence.
- Once registered, a student who is not located near one of our campus locations or is out-of-province, may establish a special writing centre for school-based supervised exams (midterms and final exams). When the student is taking a course where there is also a diploma examination, the student is required to either return to Alberta to write the diploma examination, or establish a special writing centre—to inquire about the process and obtain forms, please contact Vista Virtual School toll-free at 1-877-974-5333 Ext. 5317, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more frequently asked questions.