FAQs – Adult Students

These questions are specific to Adult students.

If you don’t see what you’re looking for here, you can find additional FAQs on these page:

Does Vista Virtual School offer adult upgrading and high school completion?

Adults 20 years of age or older as of September 1 of the school year may also take courses through Vista Virtual School. See the Adult Upgrading section for more information on eligibility and course admission and registration procedures.

Am I an adult student? What happens when I turn 20?

Alberta Education funds full-time and part-time students until they turn 20 years old and become an adult student. If you are taking a Vista Virtual School (VVS) course and turn 20 during the school year, you have until August 15* to complete your currently registered course(s).

If you do not complete by the course deadline, you will be withdrawn from your course(s) and will have to re-register as an adult student—there are no extensions granted. This means if you are withdrawn from the course but still want to complete it, you will have to pay for tuition and books/materials the same as other adult students.

*Note: this does not apply to courses provided by Alberta Distance Learning Centre on VVS’ behalf, as those courses must be completed by June 15. Students who register for a VVS summer course will have until August 31 to complete.

What can I expect from my instruction in a Vista Virtual School course?

Vista Virtual School courses are accessed online, with students working through content and assignments on their own schedule—it is a very independent way of learning, with teachers available by phone or email during regular school hours to answer specific questions about the course content.

Teachers are very happy to answer your questions, and may have additional videos or other resources to help you understand the course content; however, we do not undertake individual instruction or tutorials with students.

How can I achieve a high school diploma?

Learn about the many ways to finish high school through Alberta’s Graduation requirements, credentials and credits page!

If you studied outside of Canada, you may also wish to look into International Qualifications Assessment (IQAS).

If you require assistance to figure out which courses you need to achieve your high school diploma, please reach out to our Adult Academic Counselors at vvsadults@pembinahills.ca. It is helpful if you can include your high school transcripts and/or your Alberta Student Number, if you have one.

Can I still register if I did my schooling outside of Alberta?

Yes, you can register to upgrade with Vista Virtual School as long as you are now a resident of Alberta. In your registration application, please upload a copy of your high school transcript and/or applicable post-secondary marks for review by our Academic Counselors.

It is also helpful for you to create an Alberta Student Number and include it in your registration. Any course you complete with Vista Virtual School will be reported on your Alberta high school transcript.

How long do I have to complete my course?

If you paid for your course yourself or it is funded through a third party, you have up to one year to complete a core course, six months to complete a 3- or 5-credit elective course, or three months to complete 1-credit CTS courses.

Extensions may be granted with teacher approval, upon presentation of a reasonable completion plan. There is an additional cost for course extensions.

If your course is funded through the Skills Investment Bursary (SIB), you have 24 weeks to complete your course and must finish by your Session End Date.

Where do I get my textbooks/materials from?

As an adult student, Vista Virtual School provides you the option to purchase textbooks and materials directly through us. If you choose this option, the cost of textbooks may be less than other sources because the cost is averaged out between used and new textbooks; but as such, you may receive a used textbook in reusable condition. You can choose to purchase textbooks and other materials from any available source.

Please note: there are no refunds for any adult textbook or materials purchased through Vista Virtual School. See the Refund Policy for more information.

Is there financial assistance?

Find out if you qualify for funding through Alberta Works called the Skills Investment Bursary.