Senior High Part-Time Program
Vista Virtual School’s part-time program offers individual online courses to senior high-school students across Alberta. With no registration deadline, students are able to enroll at any time. Our online courses are available at the 1, 3, and 5 credit levels. Part-time students are limited to a maximum of ten (10) credits at a time. Specific course format and required materials are found in the Course Catalogue.
Teachers are available to assist students Monday to Friday by phone, email, Skype, and face-to-face meetings.
Due to changes to the funding model for online schools, at this time, school-aged students can only enroll in our senior high summer courses.
Step 1: Determine if the student is eligible.
Step 2: Complete the online registration application
- Attach all supporting documents, including citizenship documentation, Individual Program Plan (IPP)—if applicable, and transcript/report card.
Step 3: Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will review and verify your information.
Step 4: If you order materials, you will receive an email with instructions for making payment.
Step 5: When you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for accessing your online course content and getting started. Any materials ordered will be mailed to the shipping address provided on your registration form.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
Be less than 20 years of age as of September 1 of the current school year.
Be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence.
- Students must provide proof of citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation).
- Note: students with a study permit must also provide their guardian’s citizenship documentation
Be a resident of Alberta.
- Alberta Education requires a parent/guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older, to remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year.
- Although a student may be residing elsewhere temporarily, they must maintain an Alberta address.
- A student must submit proof of residency upon request.
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you may provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence.
- At the principal’s discretion, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered.
- For part-time students, VVS may also accept an Alberta Health Card, Alberta drivers license, or utility bill.
Have successfully completed any required prerequisite(s) of the course request.
- If you completed schooling outside of Alberta, please upload your transcript or final report card.
- Students entering grade 10 may apply for senior high summer courses that do not require prerequisites as of May 1st. Students applying for grade 10 courses that require prerequisites may apply once they have received their final grade 9 report card (please remember to upload it to your registration application).
Not be taking the same course at another school in Alberta.
- Alberta Education will not allow students to be enrolled in the same course at two different schools at the same time.
- VVS is unable to register students in a course for which they are, or were, already registered in during the current semester with a different school.
Not be federally funded.
- Federally-funded students, such as First Nations students living in a First Nation community, have their educational expenses paid by the Federal Government and not the Alberta Government. Vista Virtual School is a provincially-funded institution.
- Federally-funded students looking to register in distance education courses should contact their local school to be registered through the Alberta Distance Learning Centre.
Provide additional documentation in support of student needs as required (e.g., Individualized Program Plan, psychological/psycho-educational assessments, and/or medical assessments/documentation).
The student and/or guardian must:
Sign Vista Virtual School’s Truancy and Acceptable Use policies.
Have regular contact with teachers of Vista Virtual School through email, telephone, or video conferencing.
Have a telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students.
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges.
- You are also required to provide a telephone number for your Alberta residence.
Core courses must be completed within one year of the start date; 3 and 5-credit elective courses must be completed within six months of the start date; and 1-credit CTS courses must be completed within three months of the start date.
If a student turns 20 years old during the school year, they must complete their regular VVS coursework and exams by August 15, 2020. Vista Virtual School’s deadline for mature students to register for a 5-credit summer course is July 17 while 1 and 3-credit summer courses are available until August 7; summer courses have an end date of August 31.