Senior High Full-Time Program
Vista Virtual School offers a full-time senior high school program to Alberta students in grades 10-12 who are not currently enrolled at another school. Our full-time students take a semester-based course load; Semester 1 runs from September 1 to January 31, and Semester 2 runs from February 1 to June 30. Students typically enroll in 15-20 credits per semester and are expected to spend about 30 hours a week on coursework. Specific course format and required materials are found in the Course Catalogue.
Full-time senior high registrations are closed for the 2019/20 school year. Students may register for full-time studies for the 2020/21 school year starting May 1, 2020. Note: Students entering grade 10 must upload their final grade 9 report card into their registration application.
Teachers are available to assist students Monday to Friday by phone, email, Skype, and face-to-face meetings.
Step 1: Determine if the student is eligible.
Step 2: Complete the online registration application
- Attach all supporting documents, including citizenship documentation, Individual Program Plan (IPP)—if applicable, and transcript/report card.
Step 3: Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will contact you to make an appointment to meet with the enrolment advisor in your area (Academic Counsellor, Associate Principal, or Principal).
- Appointments are scheduled in the Vista Virtual School Campuses closest to you (Edmonton or Calgary).
- Under extenuating circumstances, a Skype interview may be considered.
Step 4: Intake meetings take approximately one hour per student. During this time, the enrolment advisor will meet with you to discuss Vista Virtual School policies, course selection, etc.
- Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian unless they have declared their independence, in which case a letter of independence will be required.
- A photo of the student will be taken at the end of the interview for the student’s School Identification card.
Step 5: When you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for accessing your online course content and getting started. Required course materials will be mailed to the shipping address provided on your registration form.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
Be less than 20 years of age as of September 1 of the current school year.
Be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence.
- Students must provide proof of citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation).
- Note: students with a study permit must also provide their guardian’s citizenship documentation
Be a resident of Alberta.
- Alberta Education requires a parent/guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older, to remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year.
- Although a student may be residing elsewhere temporarily, they must maintain an Alberta address.
- A student must submit proof of residency upon request.
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you may provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence. At the principal’s discretion, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered.
Have successfully completed any required prerequisite(s) of the course request.
- Students applying for grade 10 courses may register for senior high courses after July 2 of the school year once they have received their final grade 9 report card (please remember to upload it to your registration application).
- If you completed schooling outside of Alberta, please upload your transcript or final report card.
Not be block-funded by another school as of September 30 of the current school year (Grant Code, Exception Code).
- Block-funded students may still register for part-time studies.
Not be federally funded.
- Federally-funded students, such as First Nations students living in a First Nation community, have their educational expenses paid by the Federal Government and not the Alberta Government. Vista Virtual School is a provincially-funded institution.
- Federally-funded students looking to register in distance education courses should contact their local school to be registered through the Alberta Distance Learning Centre.
Provide additional documentation in support of student needs as required (e.g., Individualized Program Plan, psychological/psycho-educational assessments, and/or medical assessments/documentation).
The student and/or guardian must:
Sign Vista Virtual School’s Truancy and Acceptable Use policies.
Sign a Release of Student Records form to allow records from their previous school(s) to be released to Vista Virtual School.
Have a telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students.
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges.
- You are also required to provide a telephone number for your Alberta residence.
Have regular contact with teachers of Vista Virtual School through email, telephone, or video conferencing, as well as attend Student Parent Teacher Interviews (SPTs).
Complete half of their program of study in the first semester (September to January) and the other half of their program in the second semester (February to June). Students must be completed all coursework by June 30 of the registered school year.
Return all required textbooks and materials within one month from the end of the school year (or by July 31); otherwise, they be invoiced for the cost.
If a student turns 20 years old during the school year, they must complete all VVS coursework and exams by August 15, 2020. They can register for courses as a part-time student until June 30 of the school year.