Senior High School Full-Time Program
Vista Virtual School offers a full-time school program to Alberta students in grades 1-12 who are not currently enrolled at another school. Students in grades 10-12 are able to choose online courses only and may register year-round.
Please remember the following documentation must be present at the time of registration:
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian Passport or Canadian citizenship card
- Proof of Alberta residency (students may temporarily leave the province after September 30 of the school year)
- Evidence of prerequisites for the grade level the student expects to start at have been met (i.e. present the final report card from the previous grade level)
- Medical or special needs documentation, including Individual Program Plans (IPP, IEP, Behavioural Contracts) from the previous school year, and/or psycho-educational assessments and/or medical assessments for students at all grade levels
- All coursework registered under the full-time program must be completed by June 15th and examinations must be completed by June 30th of the registered school year.
Ready to register? Click here!
Questions? Phone 1-855-974-5333 Ext. 5317 for Support Staff, or email email@example.com.
- Determine if the student is eligible.
- Complete the registration forms and attach all supporting documentation (Canadian birth certificate or citizenship card, Individual Program Plan (IPP), medical assessment, psychological assessment). Send your completed forms and all supporting documentation by email, fax, mail, or deliver in person to one of our three campuses.
- Upon receipt of your registration form, our registrations staff will contact you to make an appointment to meet face-to-face with the enrollment advisor in your area (Academic Counsellor, Associate Principal, or Principal)
- Under extenuating circumstances, a Skype or telephone conference interview may be considered.
- Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian unless they have declared their independence, in which case a letter of independence will be required. Intake interviews take approximately 1 hour per student. A photo of the student will be taken at the end of the interview for the student’s School Identification card.
- Students registering in a Blended Home Education or a Full Home Education program must submit their Education Plan for authorization by the third week of September of the current school year.
- Students registering in Elementary or Junior High must be registered by the third week of the current school year.
- be less than 20 years of age as of September 1 of the school year
- be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence
- provide a birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation
- be a resident of Alberta. (Although the individual may be residing elsewhere temporarily, he or she must maintain an Alberta address) Submit proof of residency upon request. Additional requirements apply to students leaving the province during the school year
- provide evidence that the prerequisites of the grade level the student expects to start at have been met, i.e.,final report card from previous grade level or high school transcript)
- provide additional documentation in support of student needs (psychological assessment, medical documentation, Individualized Program Plan (IPP)
- have regular contact with teachers of Vista Virtual School through meetings at student/parent/teacher Interviews, e-mail, telephone, or video-conferencing
- sign Vista Virtual School’s Truancy Policy and Acceptable Use Policy (full-time registrations only)
- sign a Release of Student Records form to allow student records from previous school(s) to be released to Vista Virtual School (full-time registrations only)
- Alberta Education requires a parent or guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older as of September 1 must remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year
- Proof of Alberta residency
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you must provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence
- At the principal’s discretion, and as a last resort, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered
- Telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges
- You are required to set this up before the student’s application can be processed
- The main contact telephone number you provide on the application must meet this requirement
- You are also required to provide a long distance telephone number and a telephone number for your Alberta residence
- Once registered, an out-of-province student may establish a special writing centre for school-based supervised exams (midterms, final exams). When the student is taking a course wherein there is also a diploma examination, the student will be required to either return to Alberta to write the diploma examination, or establish a special writing centre.To inquire about the process and obtain forms, please contact the Alberta Distance Learning Centre Exam Department. Toll-free: 1-866-774-5333, ext. 5255 or via email:firstname.lastname@example.org