Looking for something to keep you busy over the Christmas holidays? How about getting ready to apply for one of Canada’s most prestigious undergraduate scholarships ahead of the January 27 deadline?
The Schulich Leader Scholarships are open to one graduating high school student per school who plans to enrol in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) program at one of the program’s partner universities, which include the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary.
Up to 100 scholarships are awarded annually across 20 partner universities. Half are valued at $100,000 for engineering, while the other half are valued at $80,000 for science and math.
Candidates are assessed based on academic achievement, demonstrated capacity for leadership, creativity, and entrepreneurial mindedness, and interest in careers related to technology, engineering, business enterprise, or applied science. Strong consideration is given to students with financial need.
How to apply
Students cannot apply directly for a Schulich Leader Scholarship; rather, you must be nominated for one. If you are interested and believe you are a good candidate, please speak to your academic counsellor about being nominated. The deadline for nominations is Wednesday, January 27, 2021.
If you are nominated, you will then have to submit a formal application. Your application must include:
- The university program(s) in which you are interested
- A summary of your top three achievements (both academic and non-academic)
- An essay demonstrating why you are an ideal candidate (600 words maximum)
- An optional essay outlining your extenuating circumstances, if any (maximum 250 words)
- A 50-word (maximum) statement outlining where you see yourself in ten years
- Two single-page letters of reference (including contact information)
- An up-to-date academic transcript
- A headshot (for publicity purposes)
The deadline for the full application is Wednesday, February 17, 2020. The universities in question will then select the winners, who will be announced between March 1 and June 15, 2021.
Teachers and academic counsellors can also nominate a student for one of these scholarships, for which the January 27 deadline also applies.
If any of this sounds like you, you will not want to miss this opportunity! Visit the Schulich Leaders Scholarships website for more information on participating university programs, the application process, and more.