Registration opens Monday, February 1 for the 2021 WISEST (Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science, and Technology) Summer Research Program (SRP), which runs from July 5 to August 13, 2021.
Now in its 30th year, the SRP is an opportunity for female and non-binary students finishing grade 11 to gain hands-on research experience in the science, engineering, and technology fields through paid research assistantships under the guidance and mentorship of the University of Alberta faculty members and current graduate students.
Experience in the SRP will enable participating students to:
- Broaden their awareness about less traditional fields of study and diverse career options.
- Engage with other participants with similar interests.
- Learn about research techniques in different STEM fields.
- Develop relationships with successful STEM professionals.
- Foster professional skills.
- Gain familiarity with academic life at a leading research university.
- Make a real contribution to cutting-edge research.
A total of 40 placements are open to female and non-binary applicants. Fittingly, there are up to four placements available for male applicants in the traditionally female domains of nursing, nutrition, and human ecology. Applications are open to students from across Alberta, as well as to out-of-province students who meet the equivalent eligibility requirements.
With the ongoing uncertainty about COVID-19, it remains to be seen whether the program will be held entirely virtually (as it was last year) or in person at the University of Alberta campus.
The deadline to apply to the SRP, including submitting all supporting documents is 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 7, 2021. Supporting documents required include include a high school mark transcript and current interim marks as well as a personal essay and two teacher references. For details on required documents, see the program’s application checklist.