December Newsletter (2018)
January 7th, 2019
Click each article below to read this month’s newsletter or read the PDF version.
Learning Without Limits
The last month of 2018 is already here. That means a holiday break is fast approaching—Vista Virtual School campuses will be closed from December 22 through to January 1, 2019. The campuses will be open on January 2, but teachers return for classes on January 7. Be safe as the weather changes across Alberta, and have a great holiday season!
We’ve also extended the deadline for feedback on Vista Virtual School and Alberta Education an extra month, as we value your input so we can continue providing the best education option in Alberta. Please complete the survey before December 21.
` Mike Loitz, Treena Bradbury, Frank McCallum,
` Principal Associate Principal Associate Principal
Did you Know?
Elementary students should be looking to complete their first half coursework before the end of the year. In January, junior high students write their midterm exams. Senior high school students complete their first semester courses, and should be preparing for writing finals and provincial diploma exams (if they are taking a core 30-level course this semester).
- Students write their school-based final exam about two weeks prior to the diploma exam.
- Talk with your teachers about effective preparation for the school-based midterm/final exams and diploma exams.
- For non-diploma courses, there are still final exams that need to be written at the school, though you have more flexibility on when to schedule these exams:
- ALL required assignments must be completed and marked before booking a
time to write.
- Note: there is limited seating for midterms and finals at our Vista Virtual School campuses, especially in preparation for diploma exams in January.
Monthly Events Calendar
Check out our monthly events on the vvschool.ca website. This calendar is updated as events are added.
Important Dates in December
- Winter Break (December 24 – January 1): VVS campuses closed
- Christmas Day (December 25)
- Boxing Day (December 26)
- New Years’ Day (January 1)
- VVS Campuses Re-open (January 2)
- First Day of Classes (January 7)
Recent News Posts on the VVS Website
Teacher’s Pet - Payton
Meet Payton! Each month we’re featuring some of the pets that are part of the staff families at Vista Virtual School.
Sarah Davies, our junior high Language Arts and Health teacher from the Calgary campus’ dog Payton is a mix between a golden retriever and a yellow lab.
“She is two years’ old, energetic and loves four walks each day,” Sarah says. “She is trained off-leash, so we love to walk along the river pathways.”
Payton is also very playful and loves to jump up and nibble on our children’s ears if given the chance.
Tips to Succeed at Distance Education
Communicate with your teachers (frequently):
- You may not see your teacher(s) in a classroom every day, but they are here to help you with your classes. Contact them through email, phone or Skype (or any other arranged online communication methods).
- Frequent communication with your teachers helps you succeed.
- You can visit your teachers and academic counsellors in-person during the Student-Parent-Teacher Interviews (twice each year), or if you have arranged an appointment at our campus locations or area visits (Red Deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat).
Meet your deadlines:
- Participate in your activities as they are assigned and make sure to complete these before any deadlines. This way you will be best prepared for future assignments and examinations.
- Stay in constant communication with your teacher(s). Then if you are falling behind schedule, they can assist you the best ways possible to manage your time accordingly—and work with you if you need course extensions.
Meet your Teachers
How long have you been a teacher?
I have taught for 26 years, mainly in the sciences and social sciences subject areas.
I enjoy taking group exercise classes at the gym and participating in obstacle course races.
What excites you each day?
Waking up in Canada. I am grateful for my home, my friends, my colleagues, my education, good access to health care, etc. I have travelled to many locations around the world, and I am happy to call Canada my home.
VVS on the Road
- Medicine Hat – December 6
- Lethbridge – December 20
- Red Deer – December 20