Hello, I am Christy Filgate. I have worked with Vista Virtual School for 6.5 years.
My job title is Coordinator of Special Education. My main responsibilities include:
- review specialized documentation (IPP’s, Psychoeducational assessments)
- create IPP’s (Individualized Program Plans) to facilitate learning and assessment of learning.
- send IPP drafts to teachers for review and collaboration of learning and assessment strategies.
- send IPP draft to students and/or parents for further collaboration of learning strategies and to obtain signatures on IPP documentation on a semester basis.
- set up exam accommodations within the Student Information System
- help facilitate exam/diploma accommodations
- provide regular student and parent support for learning needs
I love being able to work one-on-one with students and their families. This school’s environment facilitates the opportunity to establish close relationships of support helping students to be successful. The incredible collaboration we have as a staff helps support these relationships. All the teachers work closely together to provide strategies and support regardless of the subject areas we teach/work in.
Outside of work, I have a wonderful son who is now in Grade 5. I also enjoy running and will be completing my second marathon in May 2018.
Vista Virtual School is a truly remarkable school with teachers who love to teach and help students succeed!