Exams & Accommodations
Many courses have supervised exams that you are required to schedule. Midterm and final exams can be booked once all assignments have been submitted and marked. You must have teacher approval to schedule a midterm appeal or final appeal exam. For more information on Midterm Exams, Final Exams, Appeal Exams, and Exam Supervisors, please see our Policies & Procedures.
Due to the school closures, students are directed to speak with their teachers about course midterm and final exams. Students are not to come to any VVS Campus and External Exam Supervisor Applications are not being accepted at this time.
Please note: For 30-level courses, the course Final Exam and Diploma Exam are not the same; students must write both.
Students living near a Vista Virtual School (within 100 km) should make arrangements in advance to write at that campus (Edmonton or Calgary); otherwise, students must arrange for supervisors of exams at their locally enrolled school.
To schedule an exam, please call Support Staff at the campus directly:
- Edmonton Campus: 1-855-974-5333 x6100
- Calgary Campus: 1-855-974-5333 x6200
Exam bookings can be scheduled Monday to Friday. Each campus has a morning sitting and an afternoon sitting. There are also select Saturday exam sittings available in January and June; please refer to the Calendar for dates.
If you require extra time (double time) or any other special exam accommodations, please ensure you make this request at the time of booking. If possible, please schedule a morning sitting to ensure you receive the full extra time (exam rooms close at 4:15 p.m.).
Photo ID is required for all supervised exams.
We ask that you do not come to the campus if you are feeling unwell. You are welcome to contact us and reschedule your exam as needed.
Check out the following videos to assist you with what to expect when visiting the Campus for the first time and writing an exam:
Vista Virtual School teachers regularly visit Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and Red Deer so they can supervise exams, collect textbook returns, and meet with students.
If you would like to schedule a supervised exam during one of these visits, please contact your teacher so that they can make the appropriate arrangements.
Please refer to our Calendar to find out the date, time, and location of our upcoming visits.
Students living near a Vista Virtual School campus (within 100 km) should make arrangements in advance to write at that campus (Edmonton or Calgary). If students are unable to access a Vista Virtual School campus, they must arrange for a supervisor of exams (Exam Supervisor Application Form).
- The supervisor must not have a vested interest in the student’s successful course completion, therefore the supervisor cannot be a friend, relative, coach, or someone who has taught or tutored the student in the course for which the exam is based.
- The supervisor must be a certified teacher from the student’s locally enrolled school. In extenuating circumstances, a librarian, teaching assistant, or person from another field may be considered.
- For more information on Exam Supervisors, please see our Policies & Procedures.
Please contact your teacher and Vista Virtual School Support at least five school days before you wish to write your exam to request it be emailed to your external supervisor. You will then need to contact your exam supervisor directly to set up a time to write your exam.
Vista Virtual School cares about your learning success! If you are a student in need of special accommodations when writing exams, we can help.
Requests for special exam accommodations must be submitted with appropriate documentation, such as a copy of:
- a recent psycho-educational assessment;
- a recent Individualized Program Plan (IPP);
- an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP); or
- a written recommendation from a physician.
Please send a copy of this documentation to:
- Email: email@example.com;
- Fax: 403-265-0814; or
- Bring to one of our campuses:
- Calgary: 341 58 Avenue SE
- Edmonton: 300-10055 106 Street NW
You can request additional time for your exams without submitting an Individualized Program Plan (IPP) or other documentation.
A request for extra time must be made when booking your exam, and you may request up to a maximum of double the time normally allowed to complete it.