Student Resources

Community Resources

Several community resources that may be of value to students are provided on this page.

Note: Online resources are no substitute for professional medical or counselling assistance. Students needing to speak with a counsellor about personal issues should seek assistance from a qualified counsellor, registered psychologist, or licensed social worker in their local communities.

General Resources | Bullying ResourcesEmergency ResourcesAboriginal ResourcesPost-Secondary Studies

General Resources

Access to Justice Network: ACJNet is a service provided by the Legal Resource Centre of Alberta.  A wide variety of legal information can be found on the ACJNet.  Students should contact a lawyer to confirm facts and to obtain legal advice before acting on any legal information provided online.  

Addiction Services is part of Alberta Health Services.

Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission (AADAC) is the branch of Alberta Health Services that provides counselling services for people with alcohol, drug, tobacco, and gambling addictions. The AADAC website is an excellent source of information about drugs, drug abuse, and addictions.

Alberta Health Services offers a toll-free 24-hour hotline for people needing to access addictions services. The phone number is 1-866-332-2322.

Canadian Legal Frequently Asked Questions: This website provides English and French information for frequently asked regarding Canadian and Alberta law.  One section discusses laws relating to renting a home.  Students should contact a lawyer to confirm facts and to obtain legal advice before acting on any legal information provided online.

Canadian Mental Health Association: The website for the Alberta division of the Canadian Mental Health Association has articles about stress, anger, unemployment, parenting, divorce, mental illness, and mental wellness.

Churches, mosques, synagogues, and other places of worship: Sources of assistance. Some larger congregations have professionally trained counsellors. Members of the clergy are often aware of different community resources.

Credit Counselling Services of Alberta: This non-profit agency helps Albertans with budgeting and debt management strategies. The website has an online budget planning tool.

DealThe Deal website is sponsored by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The site has articles about issues youth may face.

HealthLink Alberta: This agency provides 24 hour telephone advice and health information. The toll-free number for residents of Alberta is 1-866-408-5465. The website has links to each of the health regions in Alberta. Clicking on the appropriate part of the Alberta map links to a website for that health region. The health region websites have phone numbers and addresses for hospitals in that region.

Inform Alberta: Website has an online directory for agencies through Alberta.

Invest in Kids: Site has a section with tips for parents.

Kids Help Line: The Kids Help Line has a bilingual (English and French) website. According to the Kids Help Line website, "Each of our counsellors has access to a database of more than 36,000 community and social service agencies that allows us to refer callers to services in their own area - right across the country." The Kids Help Line has a 24-hour toll-free line for students living in Canada: 1-800-668-6868.

PFLAG Canada (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays): Site has resources for family and friends of individuals who are members of a sexual minority.
School officials. A teacher, counsellor, or principal may know the social service agencies or the names of people who can provide youth with the assistance.

The Support Network: This Edmonton area agency has an online directory of community agencies for the Edmonton region and northern Alberta. A phone number is provided for people who are unable to find the service they need in the online data base. They also offer walk-in counselling, youth crisis chat, caregiver support, and a distress line. The distress line has an easy to remember telephone number: 482-HELP (482-4357).


Bullying Resources

Students who experience bullying are encouraged to visit the Alberta Government website Bully Free Alberta.

The Province of Alberta operates a toll-free line for support and advice for dealing with bullying. The help line, staffed by trained counsellors, is available 24 hours a day seven days a week. The toll-free number for Alberta residents is 1-888-456-2323.

Healthy Settings for Young People in Canada: A Public Health Canada online book covering numerous topics related to child and youth health.  One chapter discusses bullying and fighting


Emergency Resources

Child Welfare - Child Intervention Services: Students who are being abused or neglected and individuals who have reason to believe a child is being abused or neglected can call the Alberta Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-5437. The Child Abuse Hotline is a toll-free number for people living inside of Alberta.

Family physician: A family doctor can help with medical needs and can refer young people to counselling services in the community.

Hospital: In some Alberta communities, mental health counsellors work in hospitals. Nurses, physicians, and counsellors know of local community agencies providing emergency assistance.

Municipal police or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP): The RCMP website has addresses and phone numbers for their detachments. Select the province and then click on detachments for a list of RCMP detachments.

The Support Network: This Edmonton area agency has a data base of community agencies for the Edmonton region. It also offers walk-in counselling, youth crisis chat, caregiver support, and a distress line. The distress line has an easy to remember telephone number: 482-HELP (482-4357).

Youth at Risk: Site has information about how to support people who are at risk of suicide. The site has phone numbers Albertans can contact when they are in crisis. People living in other regions of Canada can find crisis phone numbers for their area on the website.


Aboriginal, Indigenous, Metis, and Inuit Resources

Aboriginal Peoples' Choice Music Awards  

Bands by Province:  Website has map showing bands by region in Canada.

Blood Tribe: Kainai  

Buffalo Lake Metis Settlement  

Canadian Aboriginal Festival

Dene Tha

Edmonton Inuit Cultural Society 

Ermineskin Cree Nation  

Indian and Northern Affairs Canada  

Indian Status: Information about Treaty Status from the Indian and Northern Affairs Canada website.

Little Red River Cree Nation  

Metis Nation Council 

Metis Nation of Alberta

Mikisew Cree First Nation

National Aboriginal Achievement Foundation  

National Aboriginal Day: Indian and Northern Affairs Canada website about June 21, National Aboriginal Day.

Piikani Nation  

Siksika Nation

Stoney Nation 

Tsuu T'ina Nation


College, University and Post-Secondary Studies

Athabasca University: Alberta's distance learning university offers over 20 courses in indigenous studies.

Aurora College: Aurora offers an aboriginal culture and language program. 

Banff Centre: The Centre offers aboriginal leadership and management programs in areas related to management, economic development, planning, effective relationships, governance, negotiation, and women in leadership.

First Nations University of Canada

Keyano College: An aboriginal focus is offered in child and family studies, entrepreneurship, environmental, and addictions programs. 

Maskawachees Cultural College

Nunavut Arctic College: The college offers a teacher education program, and an arctic nursing program.

Portage College: Portage offers programs in native arts and culture.

University of Alberta: The Faculty of Native Studies offers an undergraduate degree in native studies, combined degree programs in native studies and education, and combined degree programs in native studies and environmental conservation.

University of Calgary: A 4-year B.A. in international indigenous studies is offered by the University of Calgary.

University of Lethbridge: A B.A. in native American studies, and combined degree programs in native American studies and education, and in native American studies and management are available at the University of Lethbridge.

University of Manitoba: The Department of Native Studies offers an undergraduate major and an M.A. in native studies.  A Ph.D. program is under development.

University of Northern British Columbia: Certificates in first nations community planning, health sciences, language, public administration, Metis studies, and traditional environmental knowledge are offered.  A first nations focus is available in the B.S.W.  and the bachelor of planning degree programs. 

Yukon College: Programs are offered in native language instruction, heritage and culture, first nations governance, and Yukon native teacher education.