Diploma exams are mandatory for all students registered in an eligible Alberta Education program (even if a student already has their high school diploma).
- Diploma exams are not the same as course final exams; students must write both.
- Registration is required to write a provincial diploma exam in one of the diploma exam sittings.
- Both the course mark and diploma exam mark are required for a final mark to appear your transcript.
- If you are upgrading your course mark and have already completed the diploma exam, you may be able to use your previous diploma exam mark.
Diploma Exam Writing Sessions
Diploma exams are offered in January, April, June, August and November. Note: not all exams are offered at all sessions.
- Adult students can write a diploma exam during any of the scheduled exam sittings as they are able to challenge any exams (proper preparation recommended).
For all diploma exam dates, see the Alberta Education Diploma exams – overview webpage.
**AUGUST 2022 Diploma Exam Registrations NOW OPEN**
Registering for a Diploma Exam
All students must register to write a diploma exam through Alberta Education’s myPass website. If you do not have an account, review the myPass account requirements and contact our Student Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-974-5333 x5317.
Once registration for an exam sitting is open, we send students an email with instructions to sign up for their exam.
- Once logged in to myPass, follow the prompts to register for a diploma exam. You will register at either:
- Vista Virtual School – Calgary Writing Centre (school code 1558) or
- Vista Virtual School – Edmonton Writing Centre (school code 1682)
Note: These writing centres are for VVS students only. If you are distance from these cities, you can inquire about having your local school supervise your exams but they are not required to do so.
- As a VVS student, you may enter VVS Principal, Steven Kaplan, as granting you permission to register for the exam with our school.
- Late registrations or walk-in students will not be accepted.
Once the number of exam writers is determined, a location is booked and those students notified of those details closer to the writing date.
- Students who are rewriting a diploma exam are required to submit the Alberta Education rewrite fee in myPass.
- Adult students have a $50 non-refundable, non-transferable, fee (per diploma exam) to access the VVS writing centre. Adults registered with the school must write under the school’s supervision. If you are unable to write due to COVID-19 circumstances, please contact us.
If you used special accommodations when writing your course exams, you may be able to use them for your diploma exam. You must apply well in advance of the diploma exam writing date to receive special accommodations. All students are permitted to use double time for diploma exams without applying for special accommodations.
- If students are not able to demonstrate that they received special accommodations for previous school exams, Alberta Education may decline to provide accommodations for diploma exams.
- Students with extensive exam accommodations can write their diploma exam at our Calgary campus. To register for special accommodations for your diploma exam, please email email@example.com or call 1-855-974-5333 x5317.
Diploma Exam News
- English & Social Studies Part A
Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
ECHA L1-350 Computer Lab
11405 87 Ave.
- All other exams
Rooms 158 & 164
11210 87 Ave. NW
- University of Calgary, Red & White Club at McMahon Stadium
1833 Crowchild Trail NW
Students with profound special needs or accommodations need to contact us to make other arrangements. Photo ID is required for students writing exams.
Alberta Education temporarily reduced the weighting of diploma exams to 10% for the 2021/22 school year.