Personalized Learning Program
What is Personalized Learning?
Personalized Learning (PL) is a customized asynchronous program for students in grades 1-9 (ages 6-14) to help them meet the Alberta Programs of Study learning outcomes.
Who Is This Program For?
This program is for students who are unable to achieve success in regular distance education programming or classroom settings and have one of the following learning needs (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Learning Disabilities
- Behavioural or Neurological Disorders
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- English Language Learners
- Health or Medical Conditions
Note: these students typically already have an Instructional Support Plan (ISP) in place. Please note that ISP’s are required at the time of registration.
What Is The Goal of Personalized Learning?
Vista Virtual School’s overall goal for the Personalized Learning program is student success.
How Will Vista Virtual School Achieve This Goal?
Vista Virtual School will achieve this goal by ensuring eligible students receive a customized learning plan built by one of our experienced PL teachers.
Getting Started With Personalized Learning:
Below is the step-by-step process that Vista Virtual School follows when a new student inquiry is received for the PL program.
Step 1. Determine if an interested student is eligible for the Personalized Learning Program
- Commitment – will the interested student participate in regular student, parent, teacher video meetings, maintain a daily schoolwork routine, and submit assessments according to schedule?
- Age – is the interested student between the pages of 6 and 14?
- Technology – does the interested student have a reliable internet connection, video and audio capabilities, and the ability to print and scan?
- Support System – the interested student must have a home learning facilitator (parent, guardian, or tutor) to provide them with one-on-one assistance.
Step 2. Next, the Personalized Learning teachers will create a customized learning plan for the student.
- The first step in creating a customized learning plan is for our PL teachers and academic counsellors to meet with each student and their families so that they can gain an understanding of each students’ educational history, previous diagnostic testing, strengths, goals, and passions. The learning plan is then developed by utilizing quality research-based resources, to ﬁt students’ individual needs (i.e. customized assignments, scripted lessons, teacher modeling etc.). Student activities are challenging but still within the student’s zone of ability which boosts their confidence and in turn, increases successes.
Step 3: Implement the plan and provide ongoing support to the student and home-learning facilitator
- PL teachers provide regular, direct instruction for the student and guidance for the home-learning facilitator.
For more information about Personalized Learning or to determine if a student is eligible contact:
Inclusive Education Coordinator
Phone: 1-855-974-5333 x6252
“Our boys have exhibited more growth and success than they ever had before in the education system.” – A.S. (treatment home for at risk youths)
“When we started in September, my children couldn’t read. By February, they could both read level 2 books and comprehend what they were reading.” – K.H. (Gr. 4 & 5 Students)
“Before I thought I couldn’t do math, not it’s my favourite subject!” – J.L.
“I don’t feel stupid anymore. I know I can do it!” – T.K.
“Before my son thought his brain couldn’t learn how to read. Now he loves to read!” – D.D.
“We’re so thankful to have had the guidance of our teacher. My daughter enjoyed doing school and our journey was much easier.” – P.B. (Gr. 7 student working at gr. 2 level in L.A. and gr. 4 level in math)
“Allowing my daughter to work at her own pace has made a real difference. My child has the confidence to learn again!” – S.K. (Code 52 student)