We offer a full slate of online core and elective courses to all eligible, school-aged, high school students across Alberta.
These courses are condensed to fit within the limited time frame of the summer term, while maintaining Alberta Education standards.
Our summer term is suitable for students wanting to upgrade course marks, catch up on missed courses or earn extra high school credits and create room in next year’s schedule!
Registrations for the 2023 Summer Term Open on May 15, 2023 at 10:00am MST.
Watch as our Associate Principal, Frank McCallum, describes what a student can expect from a summer term with Vista Virtual School.
Important 2023 Summer School Dates
May 15, 2023 – Registrations Open for the Summer Term at 10:00am MST.
June 16, 2023 – Summer Term 5-Credit Course Registration Deadline; Register by 4:00pm MST.
July 1, 2023 – Summer Term Starts; Online Course Content Will Be Available. Note: Teachers will be available starting July 4, 2023.
July 4, 2023 – Summer Term Withdrawal Deadline for 30-Level Courses; Withdrawal requests must be submitted by @4:00pm MST.
July 7, 2023 – Summer Term 1- and 3-Credit Course Registration Deadline; Register by 4:00pm MST.
Students who have not submitted a 5-credit core course assignment by July 7, 2023 at 3:30pm MST will automatically be withdrawn from that course with no chance to get back into that course.
July 21, 2023 – Summer Term Withdrawal Date for All Courses; Withdrawal requests must be submitted by 4:00pm MST.
July 28, 2023 – Summer Term Assignment Submission Deadline; Submit by 4:00pm MST.
August 4, 2023 – Summer Term Exam Submission Deadline; Submit by 4:00pm MST.
*Please note that these dates are subject to change.
Course Load: Students can enroll in a maximum of 10 credits in the summer term (regardless of which school they attend).
– Please note that students can only take ONE core course in the summer term.
– Students can expect to work at least 20 hours per week to complete a 5-credit course.
Coursework Submission: Students must work regularly in their courses, submitting work throughout the summer term and adhere to their provided timelines. Students should not be away for more than 3 days at a time with no more than 6 days away total from the course.
Course Withdrawals & Finalizations: Students who do not complete their course by the end of the summer semester, or request to be withdrawn after the deadline, will have their mark finalized (zeros entered for assignments not completed) and mark(s) reported to Alberta Education.
– Summer withdrawal deadline: July 21, 2023 at 4:00pm MST.
– To withdraw: Students (with their parent/guardian if under 18) submit a request through our Course Withdrawal Request Form. Withdrawing from a course does not automatically cancel a diploma exam registration. This must be cancelled directly in myPass.
Please visit our 2022/2023 Summer PDF Course Catalogue for a list of courses offered in the summer term.
Students who have not submitted a 5-credit core course assignment by 3:30pm MST on July 7, 2023 will automatically be withdrawn from that course with no chance to get back into that course.
Summer School Registration Opens on May 15, 2023 at 10:00am MST.
Summer Registration Eligibility:
– Students cannot be registered in the same course in the Summer Semester with another school.
– Prerequisite Course Requirements: Click here for a list of prerequisite requirements for core courses offered in the summer term. For elective course prerequisite requirements, please visit the VVS Course Catalogue.
- Prerequisite course marks must be on a student’s Detailed Academic Report (DAR; found in myPass) prior to registration. Students requesting a grade 10 core course must have a prerequisite mark on their DAR or provide a final grade nine report card. Official grade nine report cards are required and we cannot accept screenshots, progress reports or emails from school counsellors or teachers.
– Students transitioning from grade 9 to grade 10 may request courses that do not have prerequisites such as: Career and Life Management (CALM), Physical Education 10, and introductory CTS.
– All registration eligibility requirements and admission process information are listed on the Registration webpage.
Summer Registration Process:
– Students who are new to VVS, or students who were previously registered by their school (ESA students), will need to complete our Registration Form.
– Current students can use the Request Courses feature in VVS SIS to request Summer School courses (with their parent/guardian if under 18).
– There are no extensions for summer courses.
– Students who are 20 years of age, or older, as of September 1 of the current school year need to register as an adult learner.
– Summer School is not available to international students.
– Please note that some summer school courses have enrollment caps. If a course is full, eligible students will be given the following options:
- You will be added to the waitlist for that course. If another student withdraws, we will contact the next student on the list for registration. Note: being on the waitlist does NOT guarantee a placement.
- You can request a different summer course. Students may submit a course change request to email@example.com until Friday, June 16 at 4:00 p.m. MST. Note: course change requests must come from a guardian’s email for students under 18.
Inclusive Education Accommodation & Support:
– Due to condensed course content and a compressed summer timeline, exam accommodations and support may be limited. Please discuss accommodations and supports with your teacher upon registration.
– If you require extensive and/or unique exam accommodations/support, you are encouraged to speak to an Inclusive Education teacher or the course teacher prior to registering.
– Flexible timelines and significant changes to assignment submission due dates, for core courses, will not be an available accommodation.
Materials & Fees Information
There are no tuition or registration fees for Summer School courses.
Required materials have a caution fee that is 100% refundable when materials are returned within 90 days of completion/withdrawal and in reusable condition.*
Refer to our Course Catalogue for materials and pricing.
– Note: Full payment for materials is due within 48 hours of registration.
Shipping: There is a $15 flat rate shipping fee (within Alberta), per order. Students residing in the Calgary region are required to pick up their materials from the VVS Calgary campus or pay the $15 flat rate shipping fee. Those who require materials be sent outside of Alberta are responsible for shipping fees.*
– Materials that are ordered for Summer School courses are shipped as they are ordered.
Returning Textbooks & Materials: Grades 10-12 materials must be returned, in reusable condition, within 90 days of completion/withdrawal to receive a refund.*
*See our Policies page for more information on textbooks and material returns, refunds and shipping fees.
August 2023 Diploma Exam Information
Check our Diploma Exams webpage for more details on dates, times and locations.
Reminder: Diploma exams are not the same as course final exams; students must write both.
– Diploma exam writing centers in Calgary may be heavily populated and, in most cases, we do not offer isolation. Please refer to the Diploma Exams page for more information.
Give us a call at 1-855-974-5333 x5317 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: March 6, 2023