Vista Virtual School’s high school summer program offers online courses to school-aged students across Alberta. Students may enrol in a maximum of ten (10) credits. Specific course format and required materials can be found in the Course Catalogue.
Registration for 2020-21 summer school courses will be open to all Alberta students on March 1, 2021. Courses will not be finalized until mid-July.
Step 1: Determine if the student is eligible.
Step 2: Complete the online registration application.
Step 3: Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will review and verify your information.
Step 4: If you order materials, you will receive an email with instructions for making payment.
Step 5: When you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for accessing your online course content and getting started. Any materials ordered will be mailed to the shipping address provided on your registration form.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
Be less than 20 years of age as of September 1, 2020.
- Students over the age of 20 can register for Adult Upgrading.
Be a Canadian citizen, lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of an individual who is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence.
- Students must provide proof of citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation).
- Note: students with a study permit must also provide their guardian’s citizenship documentation .
Be a resident of Alberta.
- Alberta Education requires a parent/guardian of the student under the age of 18, or the student 18 or older, to remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year.
- Although a student may be residing elsewhere temporarily, they must maintain an Alberta address.
- A student must submit proof of residency upon request.
- The best documentation is an Alberta property tax assessment with proof of payment for the current year.
- If a residence is rented or not owned, you may provide a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence.
- At the principal’s discretion, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered.
- VVS may also accept an Alberta Health Card, Alberta drivers license, or utility bill.
Have successfully completed any required prerequisite(s) of the course request.
- VVS requires confirmation of prerequisite completion in one of the following forms: Detailed Academic Report (DAR) from Alberta Education, Final Report Card, or Transcript.
- For core courses that require prerequisites, students entering grade 10 may register once they have received their final grade 9 report card (please remember to upload it to your registration application).
- If you completed schooling outside of Alberta, please upload your transcript or final report card.
Not be taking the same course at another school in Alberta.
- Alberta Education will not allow students to be enrolled in the same course at two different schools at the same time.
- VVS is unable to register students in a course for which they are, or were, already registered in during the summer semester with a different school.
Not be federally funded.
- Federally-funded students, such as First Nations students living in a First Nation community, have their educational expenses paid by the Federal Government and not the Alberta Government. Vista Virtual School is a provincially-funded institution.
Provide additional documentation in support of student needs as required (e.g., Individualized Program Plan, psychological/psycho-educational assessments, and/or medical assessments/documentation).
Sign Vista Virtual School’s Truancy and Acceptable Use policies.
Maintain regular contact with VVS teachers through email, telephone, or video conferencing.
Have a telephone number that is not long distance for our teachers to better communicate with their students.
- Vonage, Magicjack, and Skype are just a few examples of companies who provide telephone service via the Internet, which will allow our teachers to call your home without incurring long distance charges.
- You are also required to provide a telephone number for your Alberta residence.
Complete all coursework and exams by August 15, 2021 in order to allow time for marking.