Vista Virtual School’s high school summer program offers online courses to school-aged students across Alberta. Specific course format and required materials can be found in the course catalogue. Watch our Summer School Registration Video for information on how to register.
- Students may enrol in a maximum of 10 credits of summer school courses
- Students may not be registered in the same course in the same term (summer) in another school
- Students must have the prerequisite course(s) marks on their Detailed Academic Report (DAR) prior to registration
- Students transitioning from grade 9 to grade 10 may request courses without prerequisites such as CALM, Physical Education 10, and introductory CTS
- Students may begin to submit assignments for marking for summer school courses on July 1
- Students must work regularly in their courses, submitting work throughout the summer semester
- Summer courses have an end date of August 6, and there is no possibility of extensions
Applications for 2021 Summer School are no longer being accepted.
To qualify to register at Vista Virtual School, the student must:
1. Be less than 20 years of age as of September 1, 2020. Students over the age of 20 can register for adult upgrading.
2. Be a Canadian citizen, a lawfully admitted permanent resident, a child of a Canadian citizen, or a child of a lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident. International students can register for summer courses, but will be subject to international student tuition fees. Students must provide proof of citizenship (i.e., birth certificate, landed immigrant, or resident documentation) and students with study permits must also provide their guardian’s citizenship documentation.
3. Be a resident of Alberta. Alberta Education requires parents or guardians of school-age students to remain in the province until at least September 30 of the school year. Students must maintain an Alberta address, even if they are temporarily residing elsewhere, and must submit proof of residency upon request.*
4. Have successfully completed any required prerequisite(s) of the course request. VVS requires confirmation of prerequisite completion.**
5. Not be taking the same course at another school in Alberta. VVS is unable to register students in a course for which they are, or were, already registered in during the summer semester with a different school.
6. Not be federally funded, such as First Nations students living in a First Nation community whose educational expenses are paid by the federal government, as VVS is a provincially funded institution.
7. Provide additional documentation in support of student needs as required, including Individualized Program Plan, psychological/psycho-educational assessments, and/or medical assessments/documentation.
* Proof of Alberta residence is ideally provided in the form of an Alberta property tax assessment, with proof of payment for the current year, or, if residence is not owned, a current lease agreement from the property manager valid for at least the school year, as well as a current utility bill for your Alberta residence. At the principal’s discretion, your income tax receipt showing that you filed and paid taxes in Alberta for the previous year may be considered. VVS may also accept an Alberta Health Card, Alberta driver’s licence, or utility bill.
** VVS accepts Detailed Academic Reports (DARs) or transcripts from Alberta Education. For core courses that require prerequisites, students entering grade 10 may register once they have received their final grade 9 report card (please remember to upload it to your registration application). If schooling was completed outside of Alberta, please upload your transcript or final report card. Please note, applications submitted without the prerequisite will be declined and students will be asked to reapply at a later date.
Grades 10-12 summer student fees:
- There are no tuition or registration fees.
- Please refer to our Course Catalogue for materials and pricing.
- All ordered materials are mailed to students’ address at no cost. Students who require materials be sent outside of Alberta may be responsible for shipping fees.
- All required materials for grade 10-12 primary students’ course(s) have a caution fee that is 100% refundable when materials are returned to Vista Virtual School within 90 days of completion or withdrawal from the course, whichever is earlier.
- All required materials must be in reusable condition in order to receive a refund.
Please see our Refund Policy for more information.
Step 1: Determine if the student is eligible.
Step 2: Complete the online registration application. Answer Yes to the question “Are you applying for summer semester studies?”
Step 3: Upon receipt of your registration form, our registration staff will review and verify your information.
Step 4: If you order materials, you will receive an email with instructions for making payment.
Step 5: When you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for accessing your online course content and getting started. Any materials ordered will be mailed to the shipping address provided on your registration form.
March 1 — Registration for the summer semester begins
June 15 — Deadline to register for 5-credit summer courses
July 1 — Students may begin to submit assignments for marking
July 10 — Deadline to register for 1 or 3-credit summer courses
July 16 — Deadline to withdraw from summer courses
July 30 — Deadline for all summer semester assignments and quizzes
August 4 – Diploma-level course marks reported to Alberta Education
August 6 — Deadline for summer semester exams completion