May 2020 Newsletter
May 6th, 2020
Click each article below to read this month’s newsletter or read the PDF version.
Learning Without Limits
Welcome to May!
We do hope that everyone is continuing to stay safe and healthy at this time!
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, our teachers and support staff are working remotely so all students can and should continue to work on all of their courses. Due to the requirements of social distancing and an attempt to keep community members safe, our Vista Virtual School campuses remain closed to students at this time.
Please visit the link below for updated information regarding exams for our students.
Exam Information for VVS Students
We always welcome your comments. If you have any questions or concerns, please phone us toll-free at 1-855-974-5333 or talk with your teacher.
If you have any stories you’d like to share of your experiences with VVS—and how you balance your diverse needs or achievements (including winning awards, scholarships, etc.), contact email@example.com
` Mike Loitz, Treena Bradbury, Frank McCallum,
Principal Associate Principal Associate Principal
Vista Virtual School 2020-2021 School Year Information
We have currently opened our registrations for the 2020-2021 school year. Due to funding changes for online schools, VVS is making significant policy and procedural changes to our high school program beginning in the 2020-2021 school year.
Please be patient with us as we make significant updates to our website to reflect these changes.
We will continue to offer full-time programming for Grades 1-9. Policies and procedures remain mostly the same for grades 1-9.
Programming for Grades 10-12:
- Students in grades 10-12 who attend another Alberta school in the 2020-2021 school year will not be eligible to register with VVS
- Students in grades 10-12 will be limited to register in no more than 10 credits of coursework at a time
- High school students can have access to complete 30 or more credits during the school year
- Students in grades 10-12 will be charged a caution fee for textbooks and other required materials
- The caution fee is 100% refundable when materials are returned to Vista Virtual School within 90 days of the course(s) expiry date or of being completed
- All required materials must be in reusable condition in order to receive a refund
- No additional school-aged students can attend VVS after September 30 – there will no longer be continuous intake throughout the school year
- VVS will offer a summer school program open to all students who are residents of Alberta
- Summer school courses are available for registration now
Summer School Courses
Our summer school courses are now available. Students wishing to complete courses with Vista Virtual School this summer are encouraged to register and start work on these courses now. Once registered, students must submit work within 30 days; failure to do so will result in the student being withdrawn from the course.
The deadline to register in a five-credit course is Friday, July 17 and the deadline to register into one and three-credit courses is Friday, August 7, 2020. All summer school course marks must be transmitted to Alberta Education by August 31, 2020. This means that students should plan to complete all coursework and exams by August 15 to allow time for marking and finalization of the grades. Courses not completed by August 31 will be withdrawn.
Graduation Ceremony Cancellation
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic we are very sorry to announce that our Graduation Ceremony scheduled for June 5th is cancelled.
Tips to Succeed at Distance Learning
Every time you study, complete a milestone or even write an exam, it can end with a reward.
You don’t need to do anything elaborate, but intentionally celebrating your hard work helps with motivation, commitment and moving on to the next task. An example could be, I am going to watch that new television show after I have studied for two hours – a small reward for a job well done!
Reward yourself at the end of a big assignment, exam or end of a section or module. It gives you something to look forward to as you work through your coursework!
Don’t forget to apply for Pembina Hills Public Schools’ Citizenship Awards by May 10; all Vista Virtual School (VVS) awards have a deadline of June 30.
Important Dates in May
- April 27 to May 1: Education Week (Alberta)
- May 1: Hats on for Mental Health
- May 7: National Child and Youth Mental Health Day
- May 10: Mother’s Day
- May 18: Victoria Day (Stat Holiday: VVS Closed and Staff Unavailable)
VVS on the Road
As a result of COVID-19, our room bookings at various public libraries around the province have been cancelled for the month of May.